Thursday, November 26, 2015

Trip to Thailand!

I went to Thailand last week! It had been about 7 years since the last time that I went, so I was really excited to see my family who live there, and to eat delicious Thai food!

It was a pretty short trip, but I had a great time!

Here are some of the things that I got to enjoy there:

First meal in Thailand. Noodles with barbecue duck and pork at a gas station. In Thailand there are many gas stations that have restaurants and even stores attached!

Thai roti. Fried flour with sweet condensed milk inside. Delicious.

Breakfast. Barbecue pork and and a boiled egg over rice

Mango and sticky rice

Dried fish over lettuce

Fried banana

Sweet Siamese pancake

Such colorful rice!

Ice cream sundae at Swensens

Sticky rice and steamed banana cake. So delicious! Wish that I could have brought it home with me.

Lots of sweets from my uncle! The green ones are called "condo cakes", since they are layered

Salapao, or meat buns

Barbecue duck(?) over rice at my favorite restaurant

Ramen with pork also from my favorite restaurant

Some spicy ramen with fried wonton 

The Earthquake from Swensens. 8 balls of delicious ice cream, all for me~

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

All done!
I also did some touristy stuff too!
Muay Thai match in front of a department store

At the Temple of the Emerald Buddha (Wat Phra Kaew)



Khrut's along the outside wall of the temple

The Reclining Buddha (Wat Pho)



At the Jatujak Weekend Market. The best place to buy souvenirs from Thailand!


At a night market on the outskirts of Bangkok

River at the night market
I really enjoyed visiting the Temple of the Emerald Buddha (Wat Phra Kaew) and the Reclining Buddha at Wat Pho. For visitors to Wat Phra Kaew, the entrance fee is 500 Thai baht (about 1,500 Japanese yen/ 14 USD) and they have a strict dress code. No short pants or dresses/ skirts, or sleeveless T-shirts.  For people who are stopped by the guards for being not dressed appropriately, there are sarongs that can be rented to wear into the palace.  The entrance fee into Wat Pho is 100 Thai baht (about 350 Japanese yen/ 3 USD) and their dress code is similar to Wat Phra Kaew.

I strongly recommend trying Thai street food if you get the chance!  If you are worried about getting food poisoning though, make sure that the food you buy is hot (if it's food that is supposed to be hot), and hasn't been out for a long time. There are a lot of flies and other bugs that carry diseases and other yucky stuff, so be careful if you buy food that has a lot of flies around it!

No comments:

Post a Comment